Redevelopment proposals for Maes Emlyn, Y Rhyl

Why are we doing this?

Maes Emlyn redevelopment

What are we doing?

Maes Emlyn is a former sheltered housing complex in Y Rhyl. The previous residents have all moved out and the site is currently empty. Long term, we plan to consult on and submit planning applications to redevelop the site into houses. Short term, we are proposing to repurpose Maes Emlyn to serve as temporary emergency accommodation for people in Denbighshire who are experiencing homelessness.

What do we mean by homeless people?

People who do not have a permanent, safe, or secure living situation may be considered homeless. People can experience homelessness for a variety of reasons, including:

  • Due to an emergency such as a flood or a fire
  • Due to a relationship breakdown
  • A change in circumstances such as losing a job or becoming unwell, or the increasing cost of living meaning they can no longer afford their mortgage or rent
  • Mental or physical health problems, including substance misuse

Homelessness can happen to anybody at any time, often through no fault of their own.

Why are we doing it?

  • We have large numbers of households in Denbighshire who for various reasons find themselves homeless and we want to be able to provide a good standard of temporary emergency accommodation for them. This will form part of a range of provisions available such as temporary accommodation for those who are rough sleeping and need shelter overnight and specialist supported accommodation for people with specific support needs such as fleeing violence.
  • Finding temporary emergency accommodation for people experiencing homelessness can be difficult, and the Council currently relies on local Hotel or Bed & Breakfast (B&B) businesses to help us meet this need. This type of accommodation is not suitable for day-to-day living, and temporarily housing people in Hotels or B&Bs reduces the amount of accommodation available for tourism
  • We would like to be able to temporarily house people in specialist accommodation with a range of on-site support services that will allow us to safely support them to move into permanent accommodation


What do we want to know?


To redevelop the site into temporary accommodation will require us to submit a 'change of use' planning application.

Before we do this, we would like to know if you have any feedback on our proposals. We have put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) which we invite you to read before submitting your feedback.

You can provide your feedback in one of the following ways:

  1. Fill in the online feedback form
  2. Write to: Maes Emlyn Proposals, Denbighshire Housing, Denbighshire County Council, PO Box 62, Ruthin, Denbighshire, LL15 9AZ.


  • Start date 21 November 2022
  • End date 28 February 2023
  • Methods
  • Supplier Denbighshire County Council

What we found out

Please check back for results


Related documents


Department/ service area:

Denbighshire County Council

Full address:

County Hall
Wynnstay Road
LL15 1YN


Customer Services .

Contact numbers:

Mobile:01824 706000